Sunday, January 2, 2011

Two Weeks Free

Super Snowmen



Super Schleich
We've had the kids home from school for two weeks because of Shopping Season (woops, I mean, Christmas) and I have to admit, I was a tad worried about how to keep them occupied without spending any money.  It turns out, I didn't have to.  They seemed to relish the down time, taking turns setting up sets of toys old and new.  They didn't want to leave the house, they just wanted to "play".  That was fine with me.  Without having to travel 600km to visit my parents this year (since they're condo-ing out West), we've had lots of time to do just that, just play.  I've been weedling out toys that the kids didn't play with much over the past year, deciding to concentrate and build upon a few select series.  This makes birthdays and Christmas easy for all family members who buy gifts for the kids.  Playmobile, Schleich Figures, Hot Wheels, Trains, Puzzles & Books are the top choices for our kids when asked what toys they enjoy. I love how the Playmobile sets all fit together, and how varied the scenarios are as the kids set up their horse and elf figurines.  I am amazed when Alison independently completes a 250 piece puzzle.  We enjoyed family monopoly games, completing puzzles,  arts & crafts with items we found around the house.
Super Sledders
What else is fun but doesn't cost alot? Toboganning!  We had a blast at some local hills this year and so far, no broken bones.  (Our daughter has a great story to tell about when she broke her collar bone at age 3 while sledding).  I found out when the free skates were at local arena's and we hit the rink as well.  We have a membership to the Science Museum, so, of course, we payed them a visit.  I looked up the free hours for the Nature Museum and went during that time.  We just returned from the pool, it wasn't free but it didn't break the bank and it rounded off a well spent, relaxing yet enjoyable two weeks off.

No comments:

Post a Comment