Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Making More, Gifting Less

I believe that shopping is in my genes, I actually have a special shopping skill that may not be unique but it is very useful.  I love the hunt, searching for just the right item at just the right price. Having a limited budget means I have to shop less but that doesn't mean I have to give up the special gift I have of being a good shopper.   Following Shopping Season (woops, I said it again...I mean Christmas), I've been thinking seriously about the gifts we buy each year. I know that a large portion of our "extra" expenses during the year are the result of purchasing"gifts".  Not just for our children at Christmas and birthdays but also for extended family, friends, workmates, teachers etc.  We have cut back over the years but after viewing our Christmas morning photos, I realized that we haven't cut back enough.  I managed to purchase a bike and skating helmet through kijiji that were next to new at a cost of next to nothing.  I consigned some children's items at our local consignment store then used the credit to purchase Christmas gifts.  I have no qualms about doing this, as long as the item "looks" new, the children don't know the difference but our bank account sure does.  We baked cookies for the teachers, accompanied with homemade cards and voila. My husband and I decided to skip the gift giving between us. I have to be honest,I struggled with this idea for a while, the idea that there will not be a present "To Julie" under the tree on Christmas morning but I really am OK with our cutbacks.  If there's something I need, I'll take my time and put my good shopping skills to use, finding just the right item at just the right price.  (tip: researching and purchasing quality items often pays off in the long run.  We have a top brand quality snowsuit that was worn for 4 years by 2 kids and it is still in excellent shape) I think many of us should pull the reins back on the abundance of Christmas gifts. Why stop there? Birthdays should qualify for gift reduction also, at least less of the gifts that require giant shears to open and result in a garbage bag full of packaging.  We've had the discussion many times but maybe this year, we'll add the line "no gifts please" onto our birthday invitations.  I'm being brave saying this now, considering my birthday is days away.

Hat #3
Hat #1
Hat #4 (hat # 2 was unfit to show)
I've picked up my crochet hook and am getting my paints ready to make more gifts this year.  I've crocheted 4 hats, 3 sets of coasters for a hostess gifts and knit 2 scarves since November. If you must shop, sure, hit the stores, you might even see me out there looking for just the right item at just the right price, but there's no need to pollute the earth with more "stuff" that surely, we don't really need.  I'm not at the point where I'll say no to buying any gifts (remember, I love to shop!), However, I do resolve to cut back on gift purchases and make more this year.  I'll keep tally of our "extra" expenses and will let you know if my strategy worked.

1 comment:

  1. Love this Julie. We try to do one "big" gift and then a few small. The last few years, I've received small appliances for Christmas (d'oh!) which weren't needed and while discounted, still too much. This year, I suggest hubby and I just exchange jammies. We each got a new set and a book. We both needed and wanted them and were totally content. Still, the amount under the tree and spent seemed way too much for me and I agree with you about cutting back. I have to say-Santa got the one gift my youngest really wanted from a nice woman on Kijiji. :) I'd love to read your tips and tricks because by nature, I'm someone that likes "less" as opposed to more. Things and clutter make me physically feel stressed.
    Can I just add-in the search for extra cash-you really, really, really should open an Etsy shop. You make beautiful things. I wear my scarf every day that you made me and truly treasure it more than most gifts I've received. In fact, all of the gifts from you in my home are well loved for their creativity and beauty. Just a thought. :)
    I'm reading a blog currently of a lady that does a lot of her shopping at Value Village and thrift shops and models them. I can't believe some of the awesome stuff! We all need to get over our snobbery a little I think. :)

    ReplyDelete