Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Decisions, decisions

Category: Real Frugal
Ever since we set up our budget and I realized just how much (read...how little) money we had leftover to "spend", I started changing the way I made decisions while out shopping. I'll talk about groceries later (that's a whole other issue) I've developed my own set of questions and pre-requisites I mentally check off before spending our extra money on  the "extra stuff".  Birthday gifts, clothes, household supplies, electronics, toys etc.                                                                                                                     This is what goes through my head BEFORE I get out to the mall, market or plaza.



 * Do we really need this item? -----I've often stopped right there and cancelled my shopping outing.  If we don't really need it, I'd rather save our money or spend it on something we simply can't live without. 

 *Can I find this item at a lower price? ----browsing online can sometimes be beneficial if you can find what you need online for less money. What about kijiji, or craigslist or a consignment store?

*Can I make this or re-use something instead?-----I'm pretty crafty and often come up with a home-made alternative instead of hitting the shops, deal or no deal.  I've made picture frames, cookies & cards for birthday presents.  I've whipped up household cleaners with vinegar and baking soda. Check this link for simple recipes to make your own cleaning supplies. 

 *What impact on the environment does this item have? -----We try very hard to "not" buy things that come in non-recyclable packaging.  I think about this constantly when I am in the stores browsing.  What long-term impact will it have? Will this end up in the garbage bin in a year? If yes...I say no to buying it.

Since creating our budget and reviewing these four questions before pulling out the bankcard, we've reduced the amount of money spent on extra items by over $150 / month. (by our monthly average) That's just from making better decisions.  That's not too shabby....but pretty chic!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment